Using Roku or Amazon Fire Stick for a front end?

For discussion related to MythTV which doesn't belong in another forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ricks03
Junior
United States of America

Using Roku or Amazon Fire Stick for a front end?

Post by ricks03 »

(Currently running myth .28, with uPnP working to my Android phone)

I was hoping the updated uPnP functionality for .28 would enable the various media hardware front ends (in particular Roku and Amazon Fire Stick) would give me a way to browse and play MythTV as an effective front end. My Roku Stick can see MythTV, but when I select MythTV I get just an error of no video in the correct format (even before I can browse the library). :(

Should this work? Is there something along this line that will work?

Is the issue that all of my video is .mpg? (and if so what should it be?)
mythbuntubox
Senior
Great Britain

Re: Using Roku or Amazon Fire Stick for a front end?

Post by mythbuntubox »

Fire stick reported working with XBMC/Kodi for MythTV purposes:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/m ... 202#580202

Mpg/mpeg seems to work too (see second page of thread above).

Hope you get it working!
sfatula
Senior
United States of America

Post by sfatula »

ricks03 wrote:(Currently running myth .28, with uPnP working to my Android phone)

I was hoping the updated uPnP functionality for .28 would enable the various media hardware front ends (in particular Roku and Amazon Fire Stick) would give me a way to browse and play MythTV as an effective front end. My Roku Stick can see MythTV, but when I select MythTV I get just an error of no video in the correct format (even before I can browse the library). :(

Should this work? Is there something along this line that will work?

Is the issue that all of my video is .mpg? (and if so what should it be?)
I am running Plex. Plex has a mythtv plugin, which in turn allows Roku, ATV, etc. to work as a frontend. You can see the myth data as well since it integrates with myth via the API.
nixfu
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by nixfu »

Sideload Kodi on the FireTV and use the mythtv support in Kodi. I have 3 firetv boxes and replaced my other frontend with them, this is now how we use MythTV.

It works great, supports liveTV, has a very nice schedules viewer, program guide, supports commskip, etc.. it is a full featured front end.

http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Kodi_on_Fire_TV

http://kodi.wiki/view/MythTV_PVR
finndigg
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by finndigg »

Anyone can recommend the firestick VPN app?
IamRahul
Newcomer
India

Post by IamRahul »

Roku: While Roku 8.0 software was a substantial upgrade because were low-quality apps that apps didn’t match the experience of the other streaming devices, Roku software still has work to do. The apps are more consistent, but I still don’t like how the menus are set up, the interface looks dated, and there are design inconsistencies throughout.

Firestick: Half of Fire TV’s home screen is advertising Amazon’s content whether you want to see it or not.
Amazon Channels integrates Amazon Video, HBO, Showtime and Starz into one platform, similar to Apple’s TV app. To use Amazon Channels, you pay for HBO, Showtime, and Starz through Amazon on a monthly basis rather than your cable provider.
Amazon Channels is a good idea, but it’s a useless distraction to most because you’re likely paying for HBO and Showtime through other means. There’s no way to get rid of it from the interface.
At the bottom of the screen is a “sponsored” section that’s static. You’ll see car, razor, travel, computer, and cat food advertisements. Why are you cluttering up my home screen with this garbage?
paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Post by paulh »

On the Firestick you can add a different launcher to get rid of the in your face Amazon advertising ;)

Also since this thread was started work has been started to get the native mythfrontend to work on android tv devices like the Firestick. It's still a WIP but is usable if all you want to do is watch recordings or video streamed from your backend. Music and radio stream playback works and the Zoneminder plugin works OK. Everything else is currently broken :cry: