Can Myth Tv record from a RCA output from a STB.

For discussion related to MythTV which doesn't belong in another forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

bz07
Newcomer
United States of America

Can Myth Tv record from a RCA output from a STB.

Post by bz07 »

I was wondering if Myth Tv could record from a direct tv set top box via rca. The stb would connect to our tv via coax(as currently is) and the rca output jacks would be connected to the input of a tv tuner in a pc running myth tv. The Myth tv machine would basically work as a digital vcr. I can't find anywere online if it accepts recording from a stb via rca. If it does however how do I set it up? Also would I be able to schedule it to record daily? For the daily recording id set the pc to turn on at say 2:55 for a 3:00 show than record from 3:00 to 4:00. I would than have to somehow get it to power down. I know its possible for it to power on via acpi but is their a setting in myth tv to power down after its done recording? If not do I have to somehow set it up? I currently don't have any parts for this pc so there shouldn't be compatibility issues.
dekarl
Developer
Germany

Re: Can Myth Tv record from a RCA output from a STB.

Post by dekarl »

Yes, with a hardware encoder MythTV will happily record from an analog output. Additionally you need a way to control the STB (IR Blaster, USB/serial control, network control, etc.) and a source for guide data. (e.g. Schedules Direct, or a simple script making up daily programs with static start/stop times, or anything in between)

Many people have written how they record from DirecTV with MythTV.

Yes, with ACPI wakeup you can have the MythTV backend turn the computer on and off automatically.
bz07
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by bz07 »

dekarl wrote:Yes, with a hardware encoder MythTV will happily record from an analog output. Additionally you need a way to control the STB (IR Blaster, USB/serial control, network control, etc.) and a source for guide data. (e.g. Schedules Direct, or a simple script making up daily programs with static start/stop times, or anything in between)

Many people have written how they record from DirecTV with MythTV.

Yes, with ACPI wakeup you can have the MythTV backend turn the computer on and off automatically.
Thanks, but another question,Do I need to control the STB via the Myth Tv pc? The STB automaticly tunes to the correct channel at 3:00 so I just wanted the Myth Tv to power on,record, than power off. I wouldn't be streaming any tv through it just recording. Than when I wanted to play a recording id just switch the tv's input from the STB to the Pc. Also what about guide data? I assume you mean like cable or OTA were a guide is sent. I don't need a guide. Id just switch the STB to the desired channel.
dekarl
Developer
Germany

Post by dekarl »

bz07 wrote:Do I need to control the STB via the Myth Tv pc? The STB automaticly tunes to the correct channel at 3:00 so I just wanted the Myth Tv to power on,record, than power off. I wouldn't be streaming any tv through it just recording. Than when I wanted to play a recording id just switch the tv's input from the STB to the Pc. Also what about guide data? I assume you mean like cable or OTA were a guide is sent. I don't need a guide. Id just switch the STB to the desired channel.
If you don't want to use any of MythTV's features, then it is a lot easier to not use it at all instead of working around all features. E.g. just get a PVR card and record with a cronjob of "cat /dev/video0 > `date`.mpg" or similar.
bz07
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by bz07 »

dekarl wrote:
bz07 wrote:Do I need to control the STB via the Myth Tv pc? The STB automaticly tunes to the correct channel at 3:00 so I just wanted the Myth Tv to power on,record, than power off. I wouldn't be streaming any tv through it just recording. Than when I wanted to play a recording id just switch the tv's input from the STB to the Pc. Also what about guide data? I assume you mean like cable or OTA were a guide is sent. I don't need a guide. Id just switch the STB to the desired channel.
If you don't want to use any of MythTV's features, then it is a lot easier to not use it at all instead of working around all features. E.g. just get a PVR card and record with a cronjob of "cat /dev/video0 > `date`.mpg" or similar.
I guess I probaaly could. I was just looking more for a gui interface as I'm not very familiar with terminal. Also something with alot of support is nice. I may however use some features as I may hook up an OTA antenna for fun(we have one and I love watching the classic shows)(with a tv tuner will you need a convertor box?) I just saw myth tv somewere and kind od jumped ont it.
dekarl
Developer
Germany

Post by dekarl »

bz07 wrote:I may however use some features as I may hook up an OTA antenna for fun(we have one and I love watching the classic shows)(with a tv tuner will you need a convertor box?)
If I understood correctly that a converter box is an digital TV to analog TV converter and you are talking about a digital TV tuner device for the MythTV computer, then no, you do not need a converter box to receive ATSC broadcasts.
bz07
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by bz07 »

dekarl wrote:
bz07 wrote:I may however use some features as I may hook up an OTA antenna for fun(we have one and I love watching the classic shows)(with a tv tuner will you need a convertor box?)
If I understood correctly that a converter box is an digital TV to analog TV converter and you are talking about a digital TV tuner device for the MythTV computer, then no, you do not need a converter box to receive ATSC broadcasts.
Yes that is what I meant. Sorry that's what we call them around here. Thanks for all your help.