New System Questions

For discussion related to MythTV which doesn't belong in another forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

bgandy
Newcomer
United States of America

New System Questions

Post by bgandy »

I will be switching to Cox cable in my apartment soon and losing my AT&T Uverse due to a management decision. I like the feature of the Uverse service and the Cox solution is lacking many of them. To remedy this, I figured I will build my own (and save some on my cable bill).

I am wanting to make sure I can get the features I need and get recommendations on some of the equipment.

I will want the following on each of the TVs. There are a total of 4 LCD flat screens.
1. Channel Guide
2. Ability to view live TV or recordings
3. Ability to record the current show or set scheduled recordings

I would like access to recordings and live TV on mobile devices both at home and away if possible.

Right now, I would plan on loading my old server (2.8 dual core intel processor, 8GB ram, 1TB HDD, GBit lan) with Ubuntu 15.10 and the MythTV back end. I would likely install InfiniTV6 tuner card (I have confirmed that Cox offers a cable card).

My questions involve the front end. I would like to load it on a small device to avoid taking up table space in the bedrooms. Is there a device like the Google Chromecast that can run the front end and have a remote? Is there any possibility of built in support on a Smart TV? I would like the front end devices to use WiFi if possible.

Please give me any advice or recommendations you may have.
PhilB
Senior
Great Britain

Re: New System Questions

Post by PhilB »

I can access Mythtv from a Samsung smart TV and picture quality is good, but there is little control of selecting the recording and no features such as triggering recordings.

Up until about 2 years ago there were a number of devices with nvidia graphics which were popular and worked well but supply has dried up. Nuc is feasible but Intel graphics are not as well supported as nvidia.
Raspberry pi has been used with xbmc/Kodi - graphics is good but menu use was sluggish and many think it inferior to a genuine Mythtv frontend.

What is exciting is the recently announced Mythtv on rpi2 - should be a strong contender once fully mature.

I am sure others will chip in here.

As for your tuner, I cannot comment but check out support with the v4l site or ask a specific question on the forum.
Phil
4partee
Newcomer
United States of America

Re: New System Questions

Post by 4partee »

Ceton InfiniTV Linux Support. Linux is not a supported operating system for InfiniTV. Ceton provides driver source for InfiniTV devices as a courtesy to customers.

For ease of installation:
1. You should look at the HDHomerun CableCard solution. The linux drivers are automatically installed with mythtv or mythbuntu. Mythbuntu is the easiest install. Set up a front + back end on one system. You will need a frontend somewhere. I use an AMD AM1 system as fe/be.

2. rpi2 - Kodi is a perfect small form factor player solution. It is limited in managing the backend where all of the scheduling and recording is done. I use OSMC.tv. rpi2 is arm arch and it will be difficult to install any parts of mythtv from source.

3. Wifi can be problematic because you must be able to choose a fast enough dongle to handle the Mpeg2 bits. Live Mpeg2 TV may be difficult. The router is not usually the problem. One solution is to convert to H.264 with a user job in the backend beforehand. I use Panda wifi adaptors.

John