The future of MythTV

For discussion related to MythTV which doesn't belong in another forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jameswilson1977
Junior
Great Britain

Re: The future of MythTV

Post by jameswilson1977 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:27 pm

Hi
\been using mythtv since about 2009
Used both freeview usb and freesat pci tuners.
Have recently bought a hdhomerun so i can run myth be virtualised
Use myth fe (love it for the guide and programming) and myth lean for watching playback.
Id love the playback engine of lean in the android frontend as i said the guide layout in mythfe is wonderful

The only thing id add really the option to record paid for services. For me its sky sports.
As i use now tv on the firesticks i can only watch it live.
I watch F1 and its so annoying when coverqge starts at say 6pm but i dont get back till 7 etc
i accept the rest is streamed and no point recording but football etc id like to record like on a sky box

Other thank that i utterly love it and couldnt be without it.

dlasher
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by dlasher » Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:20 am

paulh wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:11 pm
@TMonster or anyone interested regarding MythMusic. I'm glad someone is using it :shock: I've asked this question on the mailing list before and the replies if I'm honest didn't really help me understand what users really want from MythMusic but I'm convinced we get a better class of user on the forum so I sure you will enlighten me with your relies :lol:

If you have a clean sheet tell me what you would want from MythMusic. How would the interface look and feel? The only limitation is it must work with a remote or keyboard and work within the confines of the 10 foot interface (it should be usable if you are sat 10 feet away from your TV with your remote).
I'm glad someone asked! *long* time myth user (2003) here, was dismayed when mythmusic changed, we haven't used it in years. :(

I think the best way to answer your question, is to describe how we want to use it. As adults who grew up in the tape/record/CD world, we tend to think about songs as part of an album, and albums as belonging to an artist. I've spent hours archiving my own CD's, organizing them carefully, so I can find what I want.

So when I want to hear a song, I think "Oh, Shape of my Heart, that's Sting, that was on the Ten Summoner's album, I'd love to hear that"
So I would like to open MythMusic, browse by folder to Sting, then to the album, then either play the album, or play the song.

That simple thought process is PAINFUL at present in MythMusic, and almost completely unworkable on a up/down/left/right remote only. Everything else, like playlists, like genre's, is massively deprioritized compared to the ability to HEAR quickly, what I know exists and where.

I hope that helps?
First recording: Wednesday July 28th, 2004

dlasher
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by dlasher » Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:33 am

paulh wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:26 pm
We can see from the number of Scheduled Direct users and the Smolt data that MythTV is losing users at an ever increasing rate. We think one reason for this is it's getting harder and harder to record stuff because more services are becoming encrypted requiring proprietary boxes to view and record content and some services are moving to an on-demand type of service that are hard or impossible to record.

So the question is what improvements would you like to see in MythTV in the future that would persuade you to continue to use it?

Would you like to see better support for YouTube for example or a better video media library. Better music player? Support for IPTV services? What plugins do you use? What plugins would you like to see? Are you happy with the user interface or would you like to see a more modern one?

Give us your thoughts on what direction you would like to see MythTV take now it's original purpose is slowing being killed of.
We started using MythTV because we were long time DirecTivo users, and the HD Tivo was $1300. Commercial flagging was a revelation and we've never looked back.

For me, MythTV has always been about 2 things:
* recording TV off the air, so I don't have to pay for cable/cable-boxes
* playing back media I've recorded or archived.

RE: #1 - Silicon Dust saved MythTV, at least in the US, imho. No more PCI interrupts, firmware, IR blasters, just plug and record. In spite of being replaced by HDHR3+Cablecards (which are going away too) my original HDHR's are still recording while going through at least 1 power supply a year. I'm embarrassed at how much is sitting in my /myth/tv folder, maybe when I retire I can watch it all. :)

RE: #2 - Plex, quite honestly has replaced this role for non-OTA content. Nice thin client that works on everything smart, and does a *fair* job of dealing with mixed sources. It does a craptastic job of tuners/scheduling/etc, otherwise it might have replaced Myth completely.

For me, if we ever get to a stage where I can no longer record off the air, MythTV will probably get retired. I will miss it terribly, it's been a critical part of the media experience in our family.

So to answer your question, in my humble opinion, the developers time is best spent figuring out ways to help MythTV consume additional sources so it stays the aggregation/recording platform we love. (Check out what xTeVe is doing for recording, or look at PlayOn for example as a model of how to legally record off streaming services)

Finally, my deepest thanks to ALL the devs.. 20 years is a LONG time for "free" software to stay relevant, and I still love MythTV as much today as I did when it started. \tip.hat\
First recording: Wednesday July 28th, 2004

josbouten
Newcomer
Netherlands

Post by josbouten » Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:58 pm

Finally, my deepest thanks to ALL the devs.. 20 years is a LONG time for "free" software to stay relevant, and I still love MythTV as much today as I did when it started. \tip.hat\
I'd like to second that as a user who started using Mythtv on a daily basis in 2005 (or maybe a bit earlier) and has not stopped doing so.