Suggestions and Tips for upgrading from v30 -> v32?

For discussion related to MythTV which doesn't belong in another forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mattlach
Junior
United States of America

Suggestions and Tips for upgrading from v30 -> v32?

Post by mattlach » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:59 pm

Hey everyone,

Soimeone recently told me that my v30 install will likely stop working sometime soon, as the old method of grabbing schedule updates is about to be discontinued. I don't know the details, but I am thinking maybe it is time to upgrade.

Right now, I have a dedicated v30 backend running inside of an Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Server Edition LXC container install on my Debian based KVM/LXC combo server. The server is headless, but I have installed an LXDE desktop in the container, and manage it remotely using X2Go. For a dedicated backend, this solution has worked well for many years now, ever since I switched my server from ESXi to KVM+LXC in 2014.

I have also heard that in going from v30 to newer versions, it isn't quite as straight forward as in the past, as some things have changed, that may require reconfiguration.

I wonder if anyone has any suggestions on how to accomplish this.

Is it even worth trying to upgrade, or should I just export my database and existing recordings, create a new container, maybe on a newer version of Ubuntu, like 20.04 LTS or maybe even 22.04 LTS. I'm usually a "use the oldest LTS version still supported" kind of guy, but maybe for the MythTV install, it is worth going a little newer?

Can anyone link me to information on the following two topics?

1.) What I need to reconfigure when upgrading to a newer version than v30; and

2.) The details around the changes on Schedules Direct I need to be aware of?

I'd appreciate any input on this topic, as well as any suggestions anyone might have.

Thank you,
Matt
MythTV 30 in 18.04 LTS w. LXDE, running in LXC Container on Proxmox VE Server. Dual Octacore Xeon E5-2650v2, 256GB RAM

heyted
Senior
United States of America

Re: Suggestions and Tips for upgrading from v30 -> v32?

Post by heyted » Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:45 pm

I usually do a fresh install of Ubuntu and use the Mythbuntu MythTV Updates PPA to install MythTV using MCP. Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS will be released on approximately August 11. This video may be helpful if using backend-setup to configure the grabber for Schedules Direct. The video uses the tv_grab_zz_sdjson grabber which is compatible with MythTV v32. Alternatively, the procedure for using the command line to configure the grabber is described on the wiki.
Ted | My blog

mtvf2894
Junior
Great Britain

Post by mtvf2894 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:18 am

Suggest reading the Major Changes for v31 and v32 (perhaps skim the other changes):

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_31
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_32

If you use hardware accelerated playback there may be issues. Weirdly for me v31 / 20.10 worked sort of okay but since going to v32 / 22.04 hardware accelerated playback has been very flaky. Also worth noting that Bookmarks have also changed https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/c6569589a8

I usually do a clean install of both the OS and MythTV but last time around I did a clean install of the OS and restored the MythTV database using a backup. This saved me from having to reconfigure MythTV which saved many hours. If you go this route make sure you check mythbackend.log to ensure the database schema updates have been successfully executed when you first run the backend.

I would use 22.04 why make future work for yourself (assuming it works with your containerization).
Current: MythTV v32 / Lubuntu 22.04 / AMD APU
Previous: MythTV v31 / Lubuntu 20.10 / AMD APU
Historic: Mythbuntu / NVIDIA GFX

bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Post by bill6502 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:08 am

@mattlach I can't speak to the the initial anecdotal comment about the "old method" of Schedules Direct
being discontinued (it's known as DataDirect). But DataDirect is no longer supported in v31 as you'll see in
the 2nd bullet in the Major Changes section of its Release Notes.

Some have reported having trouble converting to the new tv_grab_zz_sdjson or tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqllite
XMLTV method. I agree that it can be tough. Just remember to do it as user mythtv, not your own user.

I suggest converting to it BEFORE upgrading to v31 as it will work on earlier versions of MythTV, at least v30.
Doing that eliminates a step required in the conversion.