Running a browser, remote only control, from Frontend?

For discussion related to MythTV which doesn't belong in another forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mathog
Junior
United States of America

Running a browser, remote only control, from Frontend?

Post by mathog » Sat May 19, 2018 11:54 pm

Is there a simple way to set up the frontend so that one can watch a program from a web site, using just a remote control?

Once and a while my wife either misses a show or forgets to set a recording. These shows are often available for a week or so on the network's web site. When that happens we have been hooking a laptop to the TV with a VGA cable. Kind of a pain and for reasons I won't go into it has to use the laptop's sound, which is not very loud. There is a perfectly good version of firefox on the OS where MythTV is running, and it would make more sense to use that. Except after reading the MythBrowser page it looks like even more of a pain to configure that than to use the laptop, and really, really painful to navigate in the browser using just the remote. There is normally no keyboard or mouse. So if anybody has this configuration working some feedback would be appreciated (is it as awkward to use with a remote as it looks?) or pointers (how did you go about configuring it?).

Thanks.

mathog
Junior
United States of America

Re: Running a browser, remote only control, from Frontend?

Post by mathog » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:29 am

Nothing eh?

Lately I have been trying to get Netflix to run in Firefox, with zero success (on any platform). It works fine in Chrome on all of the test machines (linux and Windows 7). Currently we have to start another box (and remote) and tell the TV to use that HDMI input, it would be super convenient if the DVR could handle this as well. But there is no keyboard or mouse on it, so not only would it have to start up Chrome (or Firefox) at Netflix, navigate the (dreadful) UI with just the remote, and then be able to get back into MythTV. Have any of you pulled this off? If so, please describe how.

Thanks.

wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Post by wesnewell » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:13 am

I just use a usb wireless mini KB when I want to run something besides mythtv on the frontends. It's not much bigger than a normal ir remote. Assuming your tv is hooked directly to your frontend machine, there's nothing else you need. The usb wireless KB's cost ~$10 shipped. Probably a way to do it with just the remote using ir-keytable too.
BE/FE-Asrock AB350 Pro AMD Ryzen 3 2200G, 6 atsc tuners. Frontends-GF8200's,,AMD Athlon II's. Mythtv user since 2005.

heyted
Junior
United States of America

Post by heyted » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:30 am

I have done this with YouTube but never with Netflix. Add a Menu Button in MythTV That Launches YouTube

I don't know if it is possible to use Kodi to view Netflix. If it is, I think you can still launch Kodi from within MythTV as shown in this somewhat old YouTube video (when Kodi was called XBMC).
Ted | My blog