UK EPG Grabber

Moderator: justinh

AshJG
Newcomer
Great Britain

UK EPG Grabber

Post by AshJG »

Hi All,

on my MythTV backend i **believe** i've succesfully configured the tv_grab_uk_rt grabber, however, i have missing EPG data for a couple of channels such at BB3 HD. Doing a bit of research, i now learn that the RT grabber, is no longer being suppport in terms of no new channels being added - i'm presumming this is the reason why i have missing EPG data?

Appears that the the EPG data can be provided by "atlas" from metabroadcast.com, although what i can understand they just provide the data and i would need to confugure a Grabber??? so i've signed up for the API...

and i found this:

https://github.com/honir/tv_grab_uk_atlas

am i right in thinking that the file "tv_grab_uk_atlas" should be placed in the /usr/bin

and the 4 :

tv_grab_uk_atlas.map.channels.conf
tv_grab_uk_atlas.map.genres.conf
tv_grab_uk_atlas.pa.genres.conf
tv_grab_uk_atlas.user.map.conf

should be placed in $HOME/.xmltv/supplement/tv_grab_uk_atlas

is this what i should be using and all i need to do or is there somthing else?
paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Re: UK EPG Grabber

Post by paulh »

That version of the atlas grabber looks out of date. It has now been merged into the official XMLTV source so you are better installing the official XMLTV version. The Atlas grabber was added in 0.5.64 so any version later than that should be OK.

You might want to grab the latest channels.map from here
http://xmltv.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc ... /uk_atlas/
AshJG
Newcomer
Great Britain

Post by AshJG »

Thanks paulh for your quick response. so am i right in my previouse post that where the files should be placed? i presume i could the configure it via the MythTVsetup or using tv_grab_uk_atlas --configure.

Sorry still trying to get my head around this all!
paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Post by paulh »

Does the distro you are using not have a packages version of XMLTV? That would be the safest way to get it.

I think by default XMLTV installs into /usr/local/bin/tv_grab_uk_atlas at least that is what I have. Don't think it matters so long as it is in your PATH.

The config files do go in $HOME/.xmltv/supplement/tv_grab_uk_atlas by the looks of it.
AshJG
Newcomer
Great Britain

Post by AshJG »

Thanks PaulH

My distro is Ubuntu 14.04, and i think XMLTV is installed, or it certainly is now, I may have unknowingly installed it in the past!

i placed the 4 files in
$HOME/.xmltv/supplement/tv_grab_uk_atlas

and placed tv_grab_uk_atlas" in the /usr/bin and ran

media@HTPC:~$ /usr/bin/tv_grab_uk_atlas --config

and got:

XMLTV::Get_nice does not define $XMLTV::Get_nice::VERSION--version check failed at /usr/bin/tv_grab_uk_atlas line 36.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/tv_grab_uk_atlas line 36.

i'm really sure what i'm doing wrong?
dizygotheca
Developer
Great Britain

Post by dizygotheca »

You're missing package libxmltv-perl.
IIRC the grabber has quite a lot of perl dependencies. It took me a while to track them all down...

As you've probably found, despite the github README, the script requires >= xmltv 5.64 and the main Ubuntu repository only has xmltv 5.63.

However Mythbuntu now provide a repository with xmltv 5.65 at https://launchpad.net/~mythbuntu/+archive/ubuntu/xmltv

If the grabber has been merged then installing it from there should take care of everything.
AshJG
Newcomer
Great Britain

Post by AshJG »

dizygotheca wrote:You're missing package libxmltv-perl.
IIRC the grabber has quite a lot of perl dependencies. It took me a while to track them all down...

As you've probably found, despite the github README, the script requires >= xmltv 5.64 and the main Ubuntu repository only has xmltv 5.63.

However Mythbuntu now provide a repository with xmltv 5.65 at https://launchpad.net/~mythbuntu/+archive/ubuntu/xmltv

If the grabber has been merged then installing it from there should take care of everything.
Thanks Dizygotheca, that looks like it's done the trick, for others that may stumble upon this thread i installed the PPA:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/xmltv
then i did:

sudo apt-get update
and then:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
whether that's the correct way or not it work for me!

thanks both for your help
AshJG
Newcomer
Great Britain

Post by AshJG »

Hmnm may of spoke too soon! I can successfully configure the Atlas XMLTV and also run it manually, it brings back the full 14 days. I can also run "MythfillDatabase" from command line and this works as well (looking ou the mythweb - backend status, i get a "success message - with a full 14 days worth of data) However when i run it automatically over night in MythTV i get "failed with error 1 code", only 13 days of data left.

My only conclusion is that it's being run by the mythtv user and there must be some kind of permissions issue? as when i run mythfilldatabase manually i'm using my "local" user. Would this be right? i'm not sure what error 1 means and not sure how to find out ... (is there a list of what these error codes means or are they just gereric?). would provide a log, but at work at the moment, just posted this first in the hope some knows what the issue is.
paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Post by paulh »

I think you can ignore that error. There is a bug in the early versions of the grabber that causes it to return an error result when it shouldn't. I think you will find you still get EPG data.

I did look into this but have since forgotten the details :roll: IIRC it is looking for an optional supplementary file and not finding it but carries on regardless with no problems but later returns an error result even though it succeeded to get the required EPG data.
dekarl
Developer
Germany

Post by dekarl »

AshJG wrote:My only conclusion is that it's being run by the mythtv user and there must be some kind of permissions issue?
That is a common issue. Look for ~<yourlocaluser>/.mythtv/*.xmltv and ~mythtv/.mythtv/*.xmltv. Existance of these files, their permissions, and the permissions of the referenced directories. All might contribute to the issue.
AshJG
Newcomer
Great Britain

Post by AshJG »

dekarl wrote:
AshJG wrote:My only conclusion is that it's being run by the mythtv user and there must be some kind of permissions issue?
That is a common issue. Look for ~<yourlocaluser>/.mythtv/*.xmltv and ~mythtv/.mythtv/*.xmltv. Existance of these files, their permissions, and the permissions of the referenced directories. All might contribute to the issue.
Yes, looks like it was a permision issue i did a symbolic link between ~<yourlocaluser>/.mythtv/*.xmltv & ~mythtv/.mythtv/*.xmltv and everything works, now getting 14 days (sometimes 13 days, not sure why ) worth of EPG data.

i'm using "refresh 0-14" as the comand in the backend, leaving it blank didnt seem to work/update? I presume this woudn't have any long term issues doing this?