Suggestions for a DVB-T2 PCI or USB card?

Moderator: justinh

jimorruk
Newcomer
Great Britain

Suggestions for a DVB-T2 PCI or USB card?

Post by jimorruk »

Good morning folks.

Just registered on the site, but have been using mythtv since knopmyth came out some 10 years ago shall we say - lol.

All running find on 2 laptops and occasionally a PC - but they are all DVB-T equipped except one AverMedia HD Green.
Giving me effectively 6 tuners - handy at times.

The problem is none of them are picking up any HD channels at all. For that matter, some channels, like Film4+1 and ForcesTV ( started showing UFO - now there is a blast from the past! )

I understand the problem is that unless some are at least DVB-T2 capable - those channels won't be accessible.

Before I buy a new DVB-T2 device, with will either have to be USB or PCI based, I wanted to seek myth mate guidance.

Tech Bits:

Running mainly OpenSuse 13.2
2 systems are 64bit platforms
2 are Dual Core

Running Myth 0.27 ( i think )

Any suggestions or comments would be welcome.

Jim.
MikeB2013
Senior
Great Britain

Re: Suggestions for a DVB-T2 PCI or USB card?

Post by MikeB2013 »

I am not familiar with openSUSE.

Mythtv 0.27 is old, current release is 29 ( version number changed after 0.28, the 0. was dropped))

For DVB-T2, as far as I am aware there are no PCI cards, there are several PCIe cards, some of which are directly supported from certain kernel versions, some require drivers to be built from source provided by the supplier of the card.

TBS 6281-SE Dual Terrestrial HD Low-profile PCIe TV is supported but requires drivers to be built from source for each kernel (I have the previous version TBS 6280, which has worked well for years). Building the drivers from source is quite easy, but you have to remember to do it every time the the kernel gets updated.

I also recently purchased HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD PCIe TV Receiver which works from kernel 4.9 and only requires firmware to be installed see viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2278

For USB, the PCTV Systems DVB-T2 292e nanoStick HD TV Tuner is well known and works with mythtv 0.28, initial support was provided in kernel 3.16, but to quote from https://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/PCTV ... _T2_(292e) "they have improved a lot since then"

There is also the option of a network tuner, I have a VBOX XTi-3442 (see http://www.vboxcomm.com/uk-freeview-and-freesat.html) which is a dual tuner DVB-T/T2, this is fully supported by mythtv 29 (including multirec) or mythtv 0.28 (no multirec). This does require an external XMLTV source for program data.

Mike