Hey Kiwis

nickr
Newcomer
New Zealand

Hey Kiwis

Post by nickr »

Just to say hi to other New Zealanders on this new forum, and to point out the mythtv-nz mailing list for those with peculiarly NZ related issues or questions.

I have been using mythtv for many years, fiddling to start with and probably since about 2005 in full time 'production' use. I have a backend accessing 2 HD Homerun dual tuners (so a total of 4 tuners). It has 2TB of disk for recordings, and a whole lot more for ripped video material.

I have currently 4 frontends (lounge and three bedrooms), with a spare set for a room we aren't currently using.

I also run XBMC on the 4 frontends as the whole family appears to prefer it for non-recorded (ie ripped) video material.

Anyhow, the mythtv-nz mailing list can be joined at http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/mythtvnz and the archives are at http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/ (Those of you on the other mythtv mailing lists will recognise those very useful mailing list archives run by gossamer-threads, many thanks to them).
skooobie
Newcomer
New Zealand

Re: Hey Kiwis

Post by skooobie »

Hi. I'm in Auckland. I recently did a mythtv setup guide for noobs. Hope it is helpful: shoelace.altervista.org
pcworth
Newcomer
New Zealand

Post by pcworth »

Hi nickr and skooobie,
I have just joined up today, in response to the depressing news that my 3 TiVo machines will become defunct in October. I am generally technically capable, but not what I would call savvy at "circuit-board level", so while what I have so far read about MythTV makes me feel it might be a great option for replacing the functionality of my TiVos, after covering the Introduction and Set Up pages, my brain is reeling with the unfamiliar vocabulary and concepts. I'm sure I can learn these, but it will take more than 5 minutes.
skooobie, I note that you are in Auckland, where I am also. If it is feasible, I would really appreciate the opportunity to meet you some time, to discuss the issues for someone like myself setting up a viable MythTV, and perhaps see what some of the hardware looks like. We have a "home theatre" setup, which has been established for many years, and the concept of how this can be successfully linked to a MythTV arrangement might be testing.
Anyway, I look forward with interest to learning more about the system. I feel that there may be a flood of new members following the demise of TiVo in NZ.
Regards,
Peter
Ajharvey
Newcomer
New Zealand

Post by Ajharvey »

For anyone looking at this forum: The mailing list archive URL given above is no longer valid, and just redirects to the home URL of the hosting company who I presume are the new owners of the Gossamer Threads. The new URL seems to be: https://lists.archive.carbon60.com/mythtv/mythtvnz/